Friday, September 4, 2009

SKIRRTTTT!!

Okay, first of all, let me apologize for this horrible picture.. my camera has been really unpredictable lately, and ever since I dropped it and broke the battery door while on vacation in Egypt, it's been like this ever since. I need to seriously get a new one..

Sigh. Just try not to stare at the picture for too long - Trust me *grinn*

Back to my project - Hooray! A skirt that's wearable! It's fabric from the stash that my mom got me, and I decided, hey this one seems the closest to skirt-ish!

I was looking through blogs and forums trying to find a pattern I could understand on how to make skirts, but I just decided to wing it in the end...

Skirts-Made "Over-Easy"
(Made at your own risk *Grinn*)

Step 1: Measure out fabric by wrapping it around your waist. Make sure there's enough room for gathers and when the elastic goes on that there's enough space to bunch up. I'd add 11 or 12 inches if I were you. No harm done if there's more fabric! Let it fall to the desired length + 2 inches for seams.

Step 2: Cut out fabric, and fold it lengthwise. Sew the edges together, open and press the seams down with an iron.

Step 3: Fold top of fabric 1/2 inch and then 1 inch more or whatever the width of your elastic band is. Press and pin. Sew around the top, leaving a small gap at the end for where your elastic goes.

Step 4: Measure your elastic. Pull the elastic rather tight on your waist, but making sure that there's enough room for you to step out of the skirt!

Step 5: Pin a safety pin through one end of the elastic, and thread it through your skirt. Once you get to the other end, sew both the elastic ends together. Make sure that it's tight enough before you sew the seams shut.

Step 6: Hem your skirt by folding 1/2 inch and by another 1/2 inch. Sew around skirt.

Voila! Say hello to a new, cute poofy skirt! :)

Because it is elastic, I made my skirt into a high waisted skirt, with a black belt to hide the band. Topped with a black top to not overpower things, black heels, and I'm out of the door!
(Let me know how it looks! )

Good luck!

No comments: