Sunday, May 10, 2009

Tiramisu Laced with Rum :)


Actually, it was meant to be a White Russian Tiramisu cake, but due to my lack of Kahlua or more like, the 'abundance' of stashed rum in my dorm (my roommate is 20 hence the word "stashed"), I decided instead to use rum in my recipe. I took this recipe off a book I was reading in B&N, and somewhat tweaked it to fit my own taste. Sad to say, the first time I made Tiramisu I made them into mini cakes which were super delicious, and even though I gave in this time to Ladysfingers, I must say that it's still pretty yummy!

I made this for a Girls-Gettogether-Potluck dinner and they loved it! And the next week I made it for the Korean Ladies I do volunteer Conversation Partners with (And boy, they sure wolfed it down pretty quick!)

Here's the recipe, substitute kahlua for rum if you prefer (I just make very strong coffee!), or don't if you would like the virgin kind :)

Tiramisu my way:
White Russian Tiramisu

1/2 cup marscapone cream cheese
1, 8oz. fat free cream cheese
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup black brewed coffee
2 tablespoons rum or kahlua (optional!)
1 package Savoiardi Lady's fingers

1. Brew coffee and cool down to room temperature
2. Let marscapone and cream cheese stand in room temperate so it is soft
3. Combine cream cheese, marscapone, brown sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of coffee with hand mixer or by hand (add optional kahlua or rum)
4. Using a deep dish/square container, dip the ladies fingers one by one into the coffee (they get soft very quick) and line the bottom of the dish.
5. Then take some of the cream cheese mixture onto the lady's fingers and smooth out to the corners.
6. Dip the rest of them lady's fingers again and line the top of the dish.
7. Smooth the top with the rest of the cream cheese mixture.
8. Sprinkle with unsweetened cocoa powder or shave some chocolate over the top!

Yummm!

Note: I prefer to let it refrigerate overnight or for a couple of hours - Just to allow everything to soak through.. Trust me, it's worth it!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!
Me and mum at Egypt! She's a cute petite woman with the skills of an artist, baker, chef.. basically SUPER MOM! I <3 you!

No comments: